Monday, January 19, 2009

Beauty & Politics

"In politics we presume that everyone who knows how to get votes knows how to administer a city or a state. When we are ill... we do not ask for the handsomest physician, or the most eloquent one." -Plato

...Some how we have involved into a species that rely on looks and a persuasive tongue. If you don't have the actual brains all you need is the ability to speak well and look good. It seems to be the new ingredients of success.

In discussion with a friend at dinner I bought up a recent study I read about in Cosmo(not the most notable publisher, but a study none the less.) It stated that women who wear make up make 20% to 30% more income. He agreed with the statement and went on to say that to be noticed you must make yourself stand out. A CEO of a company is more likely toke interest in the more attractive women rather than the plain Jane whether on purpose or sub consciously. We had a lengthy conversation on our nations focus on the beautiful people. The discussion veered into becoming noticed in the work force and of course sex appeal in the media.

In the end the results of the study didn't seem as surprising. It became almost a "DUH" concept to say the least. To be honest I'm not too sure how to feel about it. A part of me wants to agree even though it seems soo wrong.

I assume its another struggle in this big bad world. Another lesson I'm learning at 20 instead of wondering why I'm not getting anywhere at 25. haha
Happy MLK Day!
xoxo

8 Freakin Comments!:

KimberlyZ said...

Hi just a reply to your comment. I dont use this much so I am not sure to reply but to do this. lol Anyway yes I actually do recommend getting the shadow insurance from Too Faced. Its a good product and u get ur moneys worth rather than Urban Decays Primer Potion. There both good but I prefer Shadow Insurance. I just posted some pics if you wanna check out :) BTW your blog is so cool. I need to figure my crap out ;P

KLASH said...

i think you are right on that, and not just work at school too. some females are actually let in colleges after their interview based o nthe fact that they are sweet and PRETTY girls.. that sucks! man i hate what society has done to well.. SOCIETY. peace and love.

achoiceofweapons said...

Interesting perception but what about those who are not all that good looking but have a great smile, presence and personality? There are plenty of Chunky Mama's who are size 16 and always have a Man and or a crowd around them.
Gotta be more to it than make up but heck it is Cosmo right.

Jaycee

Hippoleetoe said...

Remember: I never said big can't be beautiful :] Just going off on how make up is one of our societies views on "beautifulness". Heck if I could go makeupless I would. YOu may think its easy, but theirs plenty of times I tried and had remarks from my boss asking if I were sick and needed to go home. sadness. Clearly a "nice" way of saying "put some face make up on at the very least"

Mocking cosmo, eh? Clearly stating where I got the statistic and how I the conversation arose..

lol

but thanks.. i've gotten an interesting response from this post as well not only here but in email.
:)

Anonymous said...

I remember watching a program about human responses to certain features, and what we consider "good lookin";D There was this young lady from china [ in the "ok" - "wouldn't give a 2nd look" range]. she wanted to get an office job, and to obtain this job she had to get plastic surgery! REASON: she knew that a girl with the same qualifications or less will get the job if she was better looking. As a safety percussion she got her face redone and a nice little tummy tuck. -sighs- the sad truth.

KLASH said...

^ Thats sad.

Hippoleetoe said...

^^
super sad ! I'm sure this could turn into a lengthy topic in regards to plastic surgery and the media and so on and so forth.

Its really depressing when you think about it

Bon Don said...

There's nothing wrong with wanting to look at someone who made an effort to look nice and added a touch of make-up to play up their strong points vs. someone who looks tore up.

I'm the first one to be lazy when it comes to make-up but I still put it on to look nice...

and beside the only people who complain about good-looking people are the not so good-loking people..right? LOL I'm such a beotch

*Bon Don*